September 13, 2013

"A few"

Summer of 2013.

I had been poring over website after website, image after image. Yearning for a full frame sensored camera and telephoto lens. I wanted the magic of the image compression with the telephoto along with the beautiful quality of a full frame sensor. Months and months. Fantasy budgeting. Research. More research. More yearning.

And then it dawned on me.

I already had a full frame camera and a telephoto lens. I had honestly never even used it before. Enter my little trooper - the Pentax K1000. It's metal. It's simple. It's classic. Coupled along with the 70-210mm slide zoom lens that came with it when my mom bought it from the pawn store for my Christmas present, I had everything in my eager hands. And Lola's branding was coming up.

Lola is my dad's cousin, which makes her my second cousin. She's 95 and going strong and is one of the most endearing people you would ever be so lucky to meet. She and her late husband Harvey homesteaded on some land south of here called Three Creek (and Cherry Creek, Devil's Creek). When you ask her how many cows she has to this day, she just chuckles and says, "Oh, a few." She and her brother Marvin both have their own respective homesteads and herds of cattle and I made it a point to be there for the branding this year.

These are just "a few" of my photos. I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with them. There's no substitute for true black and white film. I can't wait to get these in the dark room.



No comments:

Post a Comment